Smart Drainage System®
By using drainage water management instead of conventional deep free drainage, producers conserve water, reduce fertilizer and nutrient loss to streams by 30 to 50%, and increase yields.
Smart Drainage System® Tips
- Most cost effective on 0-1% slope.
- Install mains on steepest grades and laterals as long and on as flat of a grade as possible.
- Install Water Level Control Structures in the main every 1' to 2' of elevation change.
- Some existing drainage systems can be retrofitted.
- Can be used to sub-irrigate crops.
- Cost share available to install and manage Smart Drainage System® in some areas.
Research Shows Yield Increase
“The effect of controlled drainage on crop yields was strongly dependent on management. Average response was a potential 10% increase in yields when controlled drainage is effectively managed.”
- R. Wayne Skaggs, North Carolina State University
Automatic Water Level Control Structure and Components:
Managing Your LIQUID ASSETS
The Inline Water Level Control Structure™ is designed to be installed in the pipe line, so the water enters the pipe, then flows into the box, over the stoplogs, then out the downstream side of the structure. Structures are available in either manual or automatic.
- Constructed of rugged 1/2" PVC with lockable plastic lid on Inline structures.
- Stainless steel screws and custom anodized aluminum corner extrusions used for strength and durability.
- Flexible couplers allows PVC, plastic pipe, or other materials to be easily attached. (Please specify type of pipe when ordering.)
- Stoplogs made of PVC in 5" and 7" heights for adjustability. (Maintenance recommended: Remove stoplogs and grease seal with Lubriplate Grease. Ensure there is no debris in the tracks or along the bottom of the structure. Replace stoplogs after greasing.)
- Important! To minimize seepage, align stoplogs firmly against one side of the stoplog track.
- Stoplogs must remain in track during structure installation.
- Structures are not pressure rated.
- Structures are intended for gravity flow: Low pressure and some seepage may occur.
- Available in 4" to 24" diameter pipe.
- Inline available in 2', 3', 4', 5', 6', 8', 10', and 12' heights.
- Larger CMP structures available.
- 5-year warranty on all standard structures.
- Customized or special orders will carry a 1-year warranty on workmanship and material and are nonreturnable.